Monday, July 19, 2010

Daddy Woes....

Look at this face......does it say ANYTHING other than "innocent"?

Oh how I LOVE the stories my husband comes home from outings with Jordan and tells me.....yesterday was no different! You see, children have this uncanny ability, even at the ripe old age of 3, to distinguish very clearly the differences between their two parents. They know each parent's priorities, each parent's weaknesses, and how to use all of this to their advantage. For example, Jordan NEVER asks me for ice cream. Only Daddy. Daddy has a sweet tooth, and Mommy doesn't. Typically when she asks Daddy for ice cream it reminds HIM of how delicious that would be, and off they go for an ice cream cone. She knows that when she asks me I say No and offer to share a banana with her. She NEVER stops thinking, that darn Jordan.....

Yesterday our whole house was napping, and Doc woke up a little before I did. Jordan woke up at the same time, and the two of them set off for the commissary while I slept a little longer! Much needed!!! When they returned a couple hours later (I'm guessing they stopped for ice cream) Doc looked at me upon walking through the door and said, "Why don't you ask YOUR daughter what she did at the Exchange today......" Uh-oh. He went on to tell this story.

Apparently they were leaving the NEX and headed downstairs to the commissary. Doc was walking ahead, and Jordan was right behind him. Jordan LOVES escalators and never hesitates to get on them with me. She actually looks forward to it when we're at the NEX and starts talking about it the minute we get to the parking lot. Doc got on the escalator, assuming she was behind him. About 5 seconds later he started hearing this death scream, "DAAAAAADDY!!!!!! DADDY WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!" He turned around, and in his words was expecting to see no less than masked armed gunmen snatching Jordan and running. But rather, there she stood at the top of the escalator. Just looking at him and sobbing. He, in his giant flip flops, turned around and starting running up the escalator to her. He got to the top and asked her what the problem was, to which she replied, "I don't know.....I just got scared to get on the escalator....."

Remember what I said about kids playing on their parents emotions? Daddy THRIVES on the ability to chase monsters out of the closet, pray with Jordan over things that scare her, take her to the window at night to show her that the scary shadow is just a tree branch, etc. etc. He's the protector, and when she's wanting a little extra attention from him, she knows when to get "scared".

Doc hates a scene, he hates to be the center of attention, and more than anything, he hates awkward public situations, so as you can imagine, he was mortified by this. I, on the other hand, laughed hysterically! I still chuckle when I think about it! He finally laughed about it, too, it just took him a while longer!! Kids do the darndest things!!

No comments: