Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Getting into the holiday spirit....

Hello there! I hope you all are having a great week so far!! We have been busy, busy, and again, busy!!! My husband is going crazy with no downtime, and I think I'm starting to catch it too! Luckily this last weekend we had some time to just hang out!

Last Monday was my birthday! We had a great time! Since my birthday is the same day as the Marine Corps' Birthday, the guys all had the day off so we had a huge group celebrating!!! We started with lunch at this little restaurant on base that I LOVE!! We had some great food, and Ashley and Mike brought me a cake :) It was delicious, probably the best ice cream cake I've ever had!!! Joel and Victoria brought me balloons, and I loved them! Jordan loved them too! Then we had about 20 people that came out to the beach at Bellow's and just hung out all day! It was fabulous!!! The guys had their man-time in tihe water with their boogie boards, and Doc showed his buddies how to body surf. Meanwhile the girls had fun having girl talk and getting some great rays!! Jordan and Kamryn played and had a blast. We all were out there for about 3 or 4 hours!! The waves were VICIOUS!!! The girls and I tried to boogie board, and it was downright comical! We could barely even stand up because of the waves!! We're all strong swimmers, so we braved it for a while, and then finally we just quit! LOL Mike McDaniel and I figured out that day that we had a common favorite movie (The Cowboy Way) so he and Ashley and the Silva's came down that night and we ordered pizza and watched the movie! It was the perfect birthday, and I am so thankful for everyone who came to celebrate!! Doc hid a card on my pillow, hoping to surprise me when we went to bed that night, but I found it early :) It was adorable though, and I loved it!!

I am finding myself really longing for some Illinois fall weather right!! Yesterday it was about 68 degrees, and SUPER windy, so it felt ALMOST chilly! It was amazing!! I took Roxy for a super long walk and just enjoyed the weather!! It got me into the holiday spirit!!! I've been going through all of my Christmas decor and trying to decide how I want to decorate!! I don't think I'm EVER going to find glasses to go in my sconce in my entryway, so I think I'll take it down and do stockings there!! Since Doc and I are going to be gone for Christmas, I had originally thought that I didn't want to decorate, but I was so wrong!!! We are still going to do a holiday party, which I am super excited for!!! The girls and I are doing a cookie decorating party of the afternoon while the guys frolic, and then we're doing appetizers for dinner and a couple's board game night of the evening. I'm very excited to have this party!! I had planned on hosting most of my friends for Christmas this year, but when the opportunity to spend it with our family came up, we jumped on it!! We're so excited to see them!!!

Doc and I had a very scary experience on Friday night. He had just gotten home from a field op on the Big Island, and Jord and I were on our way home from the battalion's family day. We got home and saw that Daddy had already eaten, so we were heading back out to the car to hit the McDonald's drive through. I decided to take Roxy with us, since she loves car rides. I stuck Roxy in the car and shut the door REALLY fast so that she couldn't jump back out. When I did, I looked down, and Jordan's fingers were latched shut in the car door! I opened the door REALLY fast, and she started bawling!! I felt like the worst mother in America!!! This is a happy story though, because God was right there with her, and she wasn't injured at all! It definitely hurt, and it was red, but no broken bones, no bruises, minor swelling that was gone by the end of the night, and NOTHING else!!! It was incredible!!! We have always been praying for her protection, and God was right there with her!! We are so thankful!!! He truly is awesome and faithful in every way! My husband had a feeling we should take her to the hospital just in case, and though all x-rays came back fine, I'm glad that we did. Acting on those intuitions is something he and I are working on very heavily. It is our firm belief that THAT is how God leads us, and we need to not be prideful and fight it, but rather listen to Him and go with it!

So as I type this, I am completely and udderly in amazement at my daughters development. Last weekend she sat down and read Doc and I an entire book!!!! She's not actually reading it, it's just memorization, but still!!! She remembers EVERYTHING!!! She's such an intelligent child, and I find myself SO concerned with doing whatever I can to keep it going and keep inspiring her to learn more!!! She sings songs with me in the car alot now! Her favorite is "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Callait. (my favorite too!) She can count to 20 in English, and to 7 in Spanish. She is still doing her signing, but not as much now that she is speaking in full sentences. She knows almost the whole alphabet, though she gets a little turned around sometimes. She is in the new phase where she repeats everything like a dramatic newscaster! She says "Do you see it Mommy? Do you SEE it????" It's so funny, and so adorable!! While we were at the ER on Friday night she stood up very boldly, stuck out her pointer finger and said, "Oh my gosh!!! There's a puzzle Mommy!!!" I laughed so hard at her!!! Doc, however, was not so thrilled. He says that "Oh my gosh" is a gateway saying and that we need to break her of it. I guess that means that I will have to stop saying it too...

Well, I hope you all are having a fabulous November. I will update again soon, and we love you all :)


No comments: